Simply Measured has a blog post on the Social Media stats for 2014 Fifa World Cup. The world cup has created a sort of records in terms of shares, interactions, engagement & amplification for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & others. The big debate is which sporting event in future will overtake this record? Some of the stats are
1) The final #WorldCup game between Ger & Arg alone resulted in 280 million interactions by 88 million people on Facebook. For Facebook, this has become one of the most popular sporting event in its history
2) The final match created a record number of tweets with more than 618,725 tweets per minute(TPM)
3) Fifa’s Instagram account increased from 42,000 followers to nearly 908,753 followers in 31 days. (http://instagram.com/fifaworldcup). #WorldCup #Brasil2014 #Copa2014 #CM2014 #WM2014 are the tags for Fifa world cup
4) “The Fifa #WorldCup has generated more Facebook interactions than the Super Bowl, Oscars & Olympics combined.”. Super Bowl has created a big name for social media interactions in the US
5) More than 2 billion world cup related searches on Google (https://www.google.com/trends/worldcup#/en-gb/)
6) More than 32 million tweets about the #GERvsARG match.
NBA social Media awards honours NBA players & teams for their participation in Social Media. There are 10 awards in 10 categories. fans voted for their favourites on NBA.com & other social media. Social Media plays a critical role in connecting fans with the teams & members. NBA has encouraged use of social media in a great way & also to connect with the fans. #NBASMA is the official hash tag of the Awards. Some of the awards are
Best #TBT- Kendall Marshall (Lakers)
Social MVP – Damian Lillard (Blazers)
Best Vine/Video- Kyrie Irving (Cavaliers)
Selfie Award- Jrue Holiday (Pelicans)
Best Hashtag- Blake Griffin (Clippers)
LOL Award- Nick Young (Los Angeles Lakers)
“AWW” Award- Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
— klay thompson (@KlayThompson) March 7, 2014
Urguay soccer player Luis Suarez who bit Italy’s player Giorgio Chiellini in the Fifa World Cup in Brazil yesterday provided a great opportunity for big brands for real time marketing using social media. Trident, TGI Fridays, McDonald’s, Bud Light, Domino’s Pizza UK, McDonald’s Uruguay, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Snickers are some of the big brands which jumped into bandwagon. Promoted tweets with #Suarez hashtag was also found in twitter.
— SNICKERS® (@SNICKERS) June 24, 2014
— Nando's (@NandosUK) June 24, 2014
Social Media will play a crucial role in the conversations surrounding world cup. Facebook, twitter, youtube, instagram & others are some of the top social media platforms for World cup. Cristiano Ronaldo is the top football star on twitter iwth 26.5 million followers followed by Neymar Junior with 10.7 million fans. The list has many spaniards with Iniesta, Pique & others.
You will find more statistics at Statista